Monday, 25 May 2009

[Special Guest Blogger: Fraser Carlisle] So I put down my pen to write...

So. My first blog. The first thing I ponder as I type this late night reflection of my thoughts…. Why am I? Is it some sort of arrogance? Is it a miscalculated notion that what I have to say somehow merits the attention of others? Why in the middle of exams am I dedicating time to giving my time to write two cents’ worth on issues with which the young can I identify, hoping for a ‘oh that’s so true response’?

Or is it perhaps because I see this blog as a stepping stone to writing the World According to Carlisle? Or debating a return to Keynesian fiscal policy in the nation’s broadsheets?

Well the answer is I don’t really know. I suppose its more curiosity. If all the celebs can blog than why can’t I? I confess I am a little late to this web phenomena and as this is my first blog it is perhaps pertinent that I write a blog of self-reflection. A blog about blogs if you like.

The reason for my curiosity is evidently what gives appeal to blogs. A mode of expression that makes us feel like the celebs. And in a society fascinated by celebrity culture; wouldn’t it be nice to feel like one? You don’t have to be competent in the placement of the ‘Oxford Comma’ or abide by the conventions of Standard English. No-one will judge you by looks or accent; only by what you have to say. There aren’t really many rules. You don’t have to scrutinise fiscal policy or the direction of post-modern society, all you have to do is write something interesting.

Therefore now would be an appropriate juncture to ask you, am I interesting you? Well I’d hope so as I’ve nothing left to say. So how did I feel about that first blog? Did I change the world? Did I feel I wrote something worth reading? Did I express myself in the manner I would have liked to? Well if I you’re still reading I can’t have done that bad, particularly as I’ve not really said anything.

It’s an odd feeling laying yourself bare on the Internet for all to judge. Will I write a second blog? Well perhaps this is getting closer to why we write blogs. If people care about what I have to say we feel important and keep writing, if not I’ll be on the scrapheap of millions of failed bloggers. But oh well you have to try everything once.

No comments:

Post a Comment